Say hello & a bit of info

<<

Darren R

Provost (Instructor)

Post Wed, 09/06/10, 12:00

Say hello & a bit of info

Greetings one and all,

Thought I'd drop a quick mail onto the board to say hi and encourage other people to do the same and maybe say a few things about themselves and/or their EMA (English Martial Arts) practice and group.

I'm running the EMA group in Brentwood, Essex (http://www.EnglishMartialArts-ESP.com) and, hopefully expanding a bit further afield in the near future.

So...
I've been training in EMA direct from source since 1998 and have been certified up to the Provost teaching rank since 2006. I've enjoyed the training over the years in all forms of weapons and have always pushed myself to learn more, train more, spar more and generally get as much out of the martial arts as I can.
I've always treated EMA as a fighting art - one that uses solid medieval principles applied to todays modern battlegrounds (whether that be the training hall, the great outdoors, in the pub, in your home or wandering the steets). I believe in the principles involved and have tested them time and again and they prove scientifically and physically sound to me - can't ask for much more really.

I've never made any bones about the way I teach or what I teach - the techniques and principles are pure EMA and will stand up on their own, indistinguishable from those taught in any other proper EMA school. What I bring to the table is my personal way of thinking about EMA and the way that I understand it mentally and physically. So anyone learning from me is getting the system explained in the way that it makes sense to me - how it feels when you move, attack or defend, what body mechanics are involved, what mental state works best for me and suchlike - that seems to have worked well up to now (though you'd have to ask others as to how effective they think that is) and that's the way I do it.
That said, I always attempt tailor the training to the individual - everyone is different, everyone moves twists and turns in a slightly different way, everyone learns in a different way - so in my opinion this should always be taken into account when learning and performing techniques, attacks, blocks and related movements.

I love all the weapons we use (pretty much any weapon in fact) and love the barefist and unarmed stuff as well. My personal preference I guess is the sword or cudgel - maybe because that's what we all start with so I've been doing it the longest, or maybe because I've always wanted to be able to sword-fight so I enjoy it the most.
Don't get me wrong though, I love the quarterstaff as well, have always had a leaning towards having a secondary weapon in the off-hand, have a great curiosity for the more unusual weapons out there (such as the threshalls, the bill, weird weapons from other cultures, etc) as well as a great love of picking up random everyday items and seeing how you can use them with the principles defend yourself or attack when needed.

Anyway, enough from me for now.

I hope you all enjoy EMA and the new boards - please feel free to contribute or not as the mood takes you!

Cheers,

Darren

EDIT: In addition to the above we now incorporate and use some of the core Principles from Systema to help with drills, movement and breathing, as these have proven to mesh incredibly well with the EMA core principles.
<<

Hatchett

Scholar

Post Sat, 25/12/10, 19:00

Greetings

Hello All,

Getting back to EMA now after a lay off. Now the days are getting longer I am going to make a big effort to get back in to the thick of it so to speak.

I have trained with Terry for a couple of years whilst living in London and have had the pleasure of training with Darren whom I consider to be one of his brightest students and a person who has never been afraid to give me a good kick up the Arse when needed.

I look forward to the coming year as a time for learning and improving my skills.
<<

Darren R

Provost (Instructor)

Post Mon, 24/01/11, 21:00

Re: Say hello & a bit of info

Hi Andy,

Good to have you back in the EMA fold!

Looking forward to catching up for some serious practice this year, and no doubt a beer or two.

Cheers,

Darren

Return to ** Latest **