Strength and CV.

<<

Hatchett

Scholar

Post Sun, 06/02/11, 17:00

Strength and CV.

Kettlebell Training

Just thought I would post a few notes on some of my strength training methods. As we all know there can be no substitute for the basic principles of EMA and correct technique. But we also need to combine these with a good program of cardiovascular and strength training.

You can master the art of true fighting all you want but without stamina and good power to weight ratio things are going to be over fairly quick. Adding CV and strength training to your EMA training will pay dividends but there are right and wrong ways to go about it.

Hitting the gym can seem like a good idea but it can be costly and eat into your time. Also when you get there you often find there is a bit of a wait for the kit you want to use. Machine weights also tend to target specific muscles which is not good for a fighting physique because you really want to be building core power not looking like a body builder. Although I don't doubt body builders are strong their sheer bulk slows them down and thus does not translate to well to our system where we need to be nimble.

I suggest that kettlebells are the answer. Not only do they target many muscles at once they are great for CV (after practising the swing my heart rate rose to almost my maximum). There are many exercises you can do with them: the swing, Turkish get-ups, cleans, presses, snatch just to name a few. Combined with my running and cycling that’s all my CV and strength bases covered.
Kettlebells.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Darren R

Provost (Instructor)

Post Sun, 13/02/11, 22:00

Re: Strength and CV.

Interesting stuff, cheers for that :)

Not a big gym fan myself, as I like useful functional exercise that involves more natural and useful movement.

I like body-weight exercises, as well as stuff that's functional as far as martial arts, fighting, self-defence and everyday life are concerned.

I've thought about kettlebells in the past and looked into the different ways of training but mostly in a casual interest way. So, what books or reference material do you use for specific exercises?
Could you put up links of any books that you recommend?

Cheers,

Daz
<<

Hatchett

Scholar

Post Sun, 20/03/11, 19:00

If you are just starting out with kettlebells and you can squat one and a half times your own body weight then a 16kg kettlebell is what you need. You only need to buy one to start with!

There are many exercises involving two but if your starting out, one is all you will need for some time. If you are feel you are stronger than an 18kg can be used but remember kettlebells are all about proper form so don't go macho.

Women should start with 6kg or 8kg again only one needs to be used.

You can but kettlebells in a variety of weights the biggest I've seen is 48kg hats off if you can clean and press that.

A supplier of kettlebells is www.dorsetkettlebells.co.uk excellent quality and the prices include vat and shipping. They can also supply clubbells which intrigue me. His stock is low at the mo but he will have more in April.

As for books Pavel Tsatsoulines "Enter the Kettlebell" is good although it is a bit full of American cheese and quite expensive for what it is. But the instruction is great and he really breaks it down so you should not end up hurting yourself. This is the plan I am using at present.

Another book which I was reccomended is "300 Spartan warrior workout" crap title but I have been told it is pretty good. I've just ordered it so I will let you know how that pans out.
<<

Darren R

Provost (Instructor)

Post Mon, 21/03/11, 14:00

Hi Andy,

Cheers for the info and insight - really helpful.Seems like a really good way to work on form, body mechanics, general fitness and strength gain.

Adding a few varied weight kettlebells to the training kit here is on the agenda for the near future. At the very least shifting them to and from the training sessions will be good exercise!

Oddly the mention of '300' and the spartan warrior thing has reminded me of some stuff i've been meaning to put up for a while. I'll discuss that elsewhere though...

So, anyone else had any kettlebell experience?

The sledgehammer and club-bell thing also looks like a good one to investigate - certainly swinging around heavy weapons and iron bars has been something we've been doing here for a bit - after all, not all weapons are edged or easy to whip about, so knowing how to move clubs, maces, iron bars, mauls, etc about effectively is always a good thing.

Cheers,

Darren

Return to English Martial Arts - General Training & Practice